Trojans Hockey


Indoor Round-Up

untitled (2).png

This weekend saw both Trojans Men's 1st XI and Ladies 1st XI compete in National Indoor Division 2 South following successful regional campaigns before Christmas.

The Mens 1st XI started their National League campaign brightly with a well deserved 3-3 draw with Hampstead & Westminster who are a full 3 leagues higher in the outdoor version of the game. However they found life much harder in their second game of the day, losing 11-5 to an impressive Indian Gymkhana side in a firery encounter.

Day 2 started off badly for Trojans, losing 9-0 to local rivals Fareham whom they had previously drawn 4-4 with in the regional competition. Things only got tougher as the day went on and Trojans small squad size combined with the high pace of the game started to have an effect on precedings. Trojans lost their next game 12-5 to West Herts and then went down 6-4 in their final game with St Albans.

Despite the results, Trojans showed much promise and were pleased to be back competing at National League level again. It should also be noted that as a South Premier Division 2 side outdoors, Trojans were punching well above their weight indoors and will take confidence from this achievemet into the rest of the season.

The Ladies 1st XI were also in action in National Divison 2 South. They started brightly in their first match, going 3-1 up against Sevenoaks. They couldn't hold on to this early lead though and lost the game 6-3. Up next was Old Louts and a reminder of how tough hockey, especially indoors, can be at this level. Trojans were outgunned and collapsed to a heavy 8-0 defeat.

Trojans faced a strong St Albans side containing two current England internationals in Day 2s opening game. Trojans frustrated their opponents with their resolute defence and began to grow in confidence taking a 2-1 lead and moving the ball around with ever increasing pace and accuracy. However, with just 3 minutes remaining on the clock, St Albans equalised through Englands Ellie Watton. A minute later she scored again to win the game.

Trojans were unlucky again in their next game, losing 3-2 for a second time to Chelmsford. This time Trojans felt they really deserved something from the game, dominating possession in the 2nd half but not quite finding the goal they needed. The final game saw Trojans take on the tournament winners and star studded Holcombe. Trojans put up a brave fight and went into half time 3-2 down but well in the game. The 2nd half saw a touching moment as Trojans Izzy Wood took a blow to the head. Her sister, Lucy, playing for Holcombe stopped play and rushed to help her sister not waiting for the officials to recognise the situation and act. A moment of great sportsmanship within a highly competitive and physical game. Trojans eventually went down 5-2 but will feel there were lots of positives to take from day 2 in particular.

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All